Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this winter. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 14442
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Device Specialist provides
patient and provider support by using in person and remote technologies to aid
in diagnosing and treating cardiac conditions. This position is responsible for
the interrogation, interpretation, and programming of pacemakers, Implantable
Cardioverter Defibrillators (ICD) and Cardiac Resynchronization (CRT) devices
for a complex and diverse cardiovascular patient population.
•Performs clinic and remote interrogations and device management according to established protocol under the supervision of a physician. This includes Pacemakers, ICDs, CRT devices and Implantable Loop Recorders (ILRs).
•Recognizes, documents and reports basic abnormal findings to provider for appropriate assistance.
•Prepares standardized remote reports for provider review and interpretation.
• Troubleshoots abnormal functions for bradycardia, tachycardia and CRT devices. Identifies and seeks appropriate therapy for basic and complex arrhythmias and device malfunction.
• Educates patients and families regarding device function, clinic follow-up scheduling and device home monitoring. Enrolls new patients and transfers into appropriate remote monitoring site. Manages clerical tasks associated with device clinic functioning.
• Collaborates with pacemaker nurses, electrophysiologists, implanters, and mid-level providers to ensure appropriate patient follow-up.
• Identifies and manages device related regulatory issues including advisories, safety notifications, recalls, device tracking, and lost to follow up patients.
• Identifies opportunities to enhance workflows in collaboration with clinic leadership. Develop operating policies and procedures.
● Bachelor’s Degree required.
● Certificate of completion from an approved cardiac device technical school/program preferred or educational equivalent and clinical experience to qualify for Certified Cardiac Device Specialist (CCDS) certification.
● Certified Cardiac Device Specialist (CCDS) from International Board of Heart Rhythm Examiners (IBHRE) within 12 months of employment. BLS required. ACLS required within 6 months of employment.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● One year of clinical cardiology and electrophysiology (EP) experience as a Pacemaker/ICD tech beyond clinical experience required to complete an approved cardiac device technical school/program.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: UNCH EP Device Monitoring
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.