Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this winter. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 16450
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: Shared Services
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The Risk Adjustment Coordinator will be responsible for analyzing and auditing medical records retrospectively as requested by
insurance companies as required by the third party payer under the value care contracts. In addition, the Risk Adjustment Coordinator will be responsible for
working the EPIC WQ to reorder the Hierarchical Condition Categories (HCC) conditions in the top 12 for claim generation. The Risk Adjustment Coordinator
will complete Pre-Visit Planning reviews daily to improve HCC capture and HCC Persistency.
Perform the payer audits as required under the Value Care contracts by performing validation of the providers and researching and responding to information requested by the payer.
Review the cases in the HCC Edit WQ to determine the HCC’s that need to be reordered in the top 12 diagnoses before releasing on the claim for billing.
Assist with creation and updating education tip sheets and tools for providers and other clinical and OP CDI staff such as the HCC/RAF Pocket Guide, HCC Coding Tip Sheets by clinical conditions, and relevant information in the Clinical Documentation Handbook.
Perform pre-visit medical record reviews patient’s upcoming clinic visit to identify conditions captured over the past 2 years that requires refreshing for the current calendar year. HCC conditions that impact HCC Persistency must be documented at least annually. The Risk Adjustment Coordinator creates queries/prompts to the provider according to the process defined and to facilitate appropriate clinical documentation to support the severity of illness, hierarchical condition categories, and complexity of care rendered to all patients.
Utilize the compliant query process according to guidelines, policy, and the AHIMA Standards of Practice. Communicate and collaborate with clinical and non-clinical staff to expedite the resolution of queries/prompts.
Utilize software systems such as the PCIC dashboard and reports, excel spreadsheets to ensure accurate data collection both pre-visit and post-visit for reporting KPI metrics and outcomes.
Demonstrate responsibility for professional growth and development by actively learning and participating in the continuing education offerings provided. Maintain competence in documentation requirements, coding guidelines, and quality measures.
● • High school diploma or GED required.
● • Successful completion of the OP CDI Proficiency Test.
● • Must have one of the following: - AHIMA (American Health Information Management Association) certification - AAPC (American Academy of Professional Coders) certification – CPC (Certified Professional Coder) or CRC (Certified Risk Coder) - ACDIS (Association of Clinical Documentation Improvement Specialists) certification - RN (Registered Nurse) license - LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) license - Advance Practice Provider (NP or PA) license- Medical Doctor (MD) license
Professional Experience Requirements:
● • Minimum of twelve (12) months of OP coding experience or nursing experience in an ambulatory care setting
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● • Strong knowledge of medical record documentation requirements and coding guidelines in accordance with third party payer, state and federal regulations.
● • Strong ambulatory care clinical knowledge of clinical indicators, disease processes, and treatment.
● • Must possess strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
● • Exhibit effective organizational skills, time management, ability to be flexible, and management of multiple priorities.
● • Strong critical thinking and sound judgement in decision-making.
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: Shared Services
Organization Unit: HIM CDI
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.