Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this winter. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 22788
Location: Raleigh, NC
Facility/Division: UNC REX Healthcare
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Works in coordination with UNC Rex staff to resolve complaints/grievances before they develop into professional liability claims.
1. Reviews patient complaints that may be the source of potential legal action: discusses and offers solutions, when possible, to resolve any patient and/or family grievances perceived as potential liability claims. Works in coordination with UNC Rex staff to resolve complaints/grievances before they develop into professional liability claims.
2. Maintains the UNC Rex safety event reporting system for the hospital, ambulatory care sites, UNC Rex physician practices and rehab and long term care centers. Facilitates new department leader training for the safety event reporting system. Serves as System Administrator for the safety event and feedback reporting system. Assigns and monitors department leader follow-ups for reported safety events.
3. Investigates and analyzes actual and potential risks in the UNC Rex System: assesses liability and probability of legal action, and provides the notification of insurance carrier as necessary. Interacts with claims manager with insurance carrier in the investigation and gathering of information as it relates to the event in question. Interacts with the attorneys managing claims/suits with gathering of information and investigation as it relates to the event.
4. Facilitates reviewable/sentinel event investigations and root cause analysis. Maintains documentation and records related to reviewable/sentinel event investigations and root cause analysis. Conducts medical record reviews related to safety events, patient complaints, potential claims and lawsuits.
5. Serves as resource for medical providers and co-workers for complex patient and family issues that could lead to potential claims/lawsuits.
6. Plans and presents educational presentations to medical providers and co-workers related to risk issues, patient safety issues and safety event reporting. Participates in new employee orientation with risk prevention presentation. Serves as risk management and patient safety consultant on committees and councils as assigned
7. Assists with developing and/or revising policies, procedures and protocols.
8. Participates and assists with any regulatory surveys and Joint Commission. Assists with survey requests for information and data.
9. Conducts and/or participates in safety rounds as indicated or requested. Participates and/or assists with risk assessments conducted by insurance carrier.
● Bachelor's degree or equivalent.
● RN NC LIC
● Preferred: CPHQ;CPHRM
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Five years of clinical experience required. Prior risk management experience is preferred. or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
● If an Associate's degree: 9 years of experience.
● If a High School diploma or GED: 13 years of experience.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: UNC REX Healthcare
Organization Unit: Rex Quality Programs
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Raleigh
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.