Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this winter. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 24408
Location: Boone, NC
Facility/Division: Appalachian Regional Healthcare
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve. Appalachian Regional Healthcare System (ARHS) is the leading healthcare system in the High Country of North Carolina. Committed to building a healthier community and simply Making Life Better, ARHS offers access to three hospitals, thirteen medical offices and twenty-two outpatient services. ARHS strives to continuously provide all members of the community with access to the best possible medical treatment, illness prevention, research, and wellness education.
The President, Watauga Medical Center and Chief Operating Officer, Appalachian Regional Healthcare System, is responsible for the administrative direction, evaluation, and coordination of the functions and activities of the organization. Ensures operational objectives and results are aligned with the organizational strategy and vision.
Description of Job Responsibilities:
1. Leads and directs all aspects of Appalachian Regional Healthcare System, to ensure the organization’s success and positon within the healthcare and business community through executive leadership, operational policies and procedures and maintaining appropriate accountabilities and expectations of direct reporting and executive staff to ensure organizational, team and individual performance standards are met.
2. Promotes, reinforces and personally demonstrates the operating philosophy, mission and core values of Appalachian Regional Healthcare System to all patients, medical staff members, coworkers and the communities the health system serves.
3. Oversees, monitors and responds to the adequacy and soundness of the organization’s financial structure. Provides leadership and feedback to leaders to optimize financial outcomes, service improvement and market position.
4. Provides guidance, direction, instruction and appropriate authorization to staff so that programs and services are designed and delivered consistent with established policies and Board approval.
5. Represents the organization with major customers, the financial community, and the public. Interacts appropriately with members of the Board of Directors, medical staff, employees and management and carries out responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
6. Reviews operating results of the organization, compares them to established objectives and takes steps to ensure that appropriate results are achieved as desired. Sets objectives to ensure continued success, improvements in quality and outcomes, and establishes environment where successful performance is valued.
Master’s Degree in healthcare management or business administration from an accredited university.
Fellow of the American College of Healthcare Executive (FACHE) certification preferred
Professional Experience Requirements:
Requires 10-15 years of progressively responsible experience in a healthcare setting including at least seven years of leadership experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Requirements:
Understands the overarching system operations and policies that guide the organization. Drives and develops innovative ideas and solutions with significance to the organization’s future. Identifies problem areas and skill gaps proactively and addresses them appropriately. Excellent project management and change management skills for designing and implementing high priority System or business group initiatives in a complex environment.
Legal Employer: Appalachian Regional Healthcare System
Entity: Watauga Medical Center
Organization Unit: Administration
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Boone
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.