Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this winter. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 23662
Location: Morrisville, NC
Facility/Division: Shared Services
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The Pharmacy Clinical Manager for the Medication Assistance Program (MAP) has overall accountability for the leadership, strategic direction, and operations for the Medication Assistance Program, pharmacy benefit service line. This service line provides medication access support services for the health system specialty pharmacy and hospital ambulatory clinics across the state. This position leads and nurtures individual team members, technicians and nurses, to meet performance and behavioral expectations.
The MAP Clinical Manager develops, implements, and maintains processes that support day-to-day operations in alignment with pharmacy department policies and procedures, and serves as a point of contact for workplace feedback. The Clinical Manager oversees strategic planning and innovation to meet institutional, departmental, patient care, and regulatory needs. The Clinical Manager participates in the educational and research endeavors of the Department of Pharmacy and provides comprehensive pharmaceutical care on an as needed basis. The Clinical Manager acts independently to address, mediate, and resolve issues within or pertaining to the Medication Assistance Program team and exercises leadership responsibility in order to meet the needs of patients, physicians, and staff in a manner consistent with UNC Health Care System’s values, mission, and core standards of behavior. The position is remote with on-site office space available in Morrisville, NC as needed or preferred.
Medication Assistance Program Overview:
The Medication Assistance Program (MAP) is offered by the UNC Health Department of Pharmacy. This team is tasked with removing financial barriers to medication access for patients across the health care system, while also promoting institutional fiscal responsibility. The larger MAP team consists of MAP specialists and nurses with responsibilities for two main areas: 1) Medical Benefit/Infusion (benefits investigations, prior authorizations, manufacturer assistance), 2) Pharmacy Benefit/Specialty/Retail (prior authorizations, appeals, copay assistance, manufacturer assistance).
The Department is seeking a dynamic leader for the Pharmacy Benefit service line that will help further develop, implement, and maintain a high quality, innovative pharmacy model in alignment with UNC Hospitals’ initiatives and in support of the UNC Shared Services Center Specialty Pharmacy.
1. Leads the development of processes necessary for the smooth operation of their area of responsibility. Anticipates needs for pharmacy clinical and operations services and assumes a leadership role in meeting those needs.
2. Provides program level management as well as shift specific management in areas of responsibility. Performs supervisory responsibilities through selection, training, evaluating, counseling, and corrective action of staff.
3. Demonstrates active leadership internal and external to the Department of Pharmacy as an active member of pharmacy department committees, multidisciplinary hospital committees and/or professional association committees.
4. Proactively seeks opportunities to improve performance and customer satisfaction and implements processes to minimize waste. Builds and maintains relationships with key individuals and solicits feedback regarding pharmacy performance. Develops policies and standard operating procedures and/or clinical decision support in response to Clinical, Operational, Financial drug use needs. Prior to implementation of new policies and guidelines, ensures that appropriate communication and staff education have occurred.
5. Provides clinical or operational leadership through in-service programs and/or publications for health care providers on appropriate drug use, the medication use system, and/or drug policy.
6. Provides clinical and operational pharmacist services to patients as required.
7. Teaches students, residents and new pharmacy staff and participates in scholarly activities.
8. Ensures and audits compliance with federal, state, local and institutional policies, procedures, standards and regulations.
9. Supports the development of budgets and financial stewardship goals. Monitors financial and productivity performance and addresses variances in area of responsibility.
10. Demonstrates clinical or operational expertise through publications, presentations, committee activities, and/or program development related to improvement of patient care and advancement of pharmacy practice.
The Pharmacy Clinical Manager for the Medication Assistance Program will report to the Assistant Director of Pharmacy for the Medication Assistance Program and Pharmacy Revenue Integrity. The primary role for the Clinical Manager will be the oversight of the day to day operations of the MAP pharmacy benefit service line, including developing, optimizing and expanding services and being the point person for internal and external customer needs pertaining to these operations. The Clinical Manager will oversee a dedicated staff of approximately 21 FTEs, the majority of whom work remotely full-time.
● Bachelor’s degree in Pharmacy.
● Eligible for licensure as a Registered Pharmacist in NC. Licensure from NC Board of Pharmacy required within 6 months of orientation date or sooner if required for operations.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Three years pharmacist experience or equivalent required.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: Shared Services
Organization Unit: Amb. Pharm Care Network - MAP
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Morrisville
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.