Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current employees, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For employee referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 25455
Location: Cary, NC
Facility/Division: UNC REX Healthcare
Status: Per Diem
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Plans, develops and delivers exercise program for both individuals and groups. Performs stress tests and other physical fitness tests to provide results and recommendations to care providers. Prepares exercise schedules and supervises exercise staff. Manages and makes recommendations for exercise equipment.
1. Develops Exercise Prescriptions Performs stress testing. Performs alternate functional assessments. Develops safe and effective exercise prescriptions. Meets with patients for initial assessment. Follows ACSM guidelines in designing exercise prescriptions. Coordinates appropriate GXT protocols. Obtains approval of prescription by Medical Director. Documents assessment findings and recommendations.
2. Maintains a Safe and Attractive Environment Monitors cardio equipment in clinical fitness area and Stress Test lab for performance, safety, and cleanliness. Advises Program Director regarding exercise equipment purchase and maintenance problems
3. Maintains Credentials Maintains certification in ACSM, BCLS/AED and ACLS. Participates in NCCRA meetings and other opportunities for continuing ed. Participates in monthly code practices.
4. Makes Assignments for Exercise Staff Prepares daily assignments to exercise staff. Prepares monthly work schedules for exercise staff and ensures appropriate staff to patient ratios. Supervises exercise staff. Keeps Program Director aware of problems with staffing or employees.
5. Monitors Patients During Exercise Assists patients and staff in implementing exercise prescriptions. Evaluates and modifies exercise prescriptions as needed. Recognizes potential medical problems and reports to MD or RN. Recognizes risky exercise situations and intervenes to ensure patent safety. Provides expertise to staff regarding exercise physiology and exercise psychology. Documents interventions with patients. Responds appropriately to medical emergencies. Monitors response to exercise such as rhythm strips, blood pressures, and O2 Sats. Reviews log sheets for compliance on a weekly basis.
6. Participates in Staff Meetings Regularly attends staff meetings. Presents patient exercise progress and evaluation results. Makes exercise related recommendations. Considers input from other staff members. Sends evaluation results and multidisciplinary recommendations to primary MD. Meets with assigned patients individually to review results and recommendations discussed at staff meetings. Attends Quarterly Wellness Staff Meetings. Participates in CQI.
7. Plans & Supervises Group Exercise for Rehab & Prevention Develops safe, age-appropriate, warm up and cool down routines. Re-evaluates and makes appropriate changes in group exercise routines. Considers group needs when planning activities and makes individual modifications if necessary. Shares exercise leadership duties with exercise staff.
8. Provides Patient Education Teaches Exercise for Life Class. Provides individual patient education on exercise topics as needed. Develops written exercise related materials. Maintains bulletin board in classroom.
● Bachelor’s degree in Exercise Physiology, Exercise Science, Kinesiology or related field.
● Clinical Exercise Physiologist (CEP) certification by the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) within six (6) months from date of hire or Registered Clinical Exercise Physiologist (RCEP) certification by the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) within six (6) months from date of hire.
● Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) certification within one (1) month from date of hire.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● One (1) year of experience working in a clinical exercise setting.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: UNC REX Healthcare
Organization Unit: Rex Rehab-Cardio
Work Type: Per Diem
Standard Hours Per Week: 4.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Raleigh
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.