Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current employees, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For employee referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 25217
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: Shared Services
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
This position functions as a mid-level manager with daily on-site operational responsibilities for HIM Operations. This position directly supervises staff performing all aspects of document imaging (including prep, scan, index, import, QA, and decentralized QA), chart analysis & physician relations, chart correction, quality audits, on-going record review, forms management, transcription, and release of information.
1. Supervises, assigns work, reviews productivity and completes quality audits of a cross-disciplinary team for all aspects of HIM Operations. Participates in staff recruitment, hiring and orientation. Selects and appraises employees. Conducts performance evaluations and employee discipline in accordance with UNCHCS policies and procedures. Provides direction and oversight to subordinates. Performs HIM Operations employee orientation and training programs to ensure competent staff.
2. Manage team projects and participate on intra-departmental projects. Lead or serve on recurring task force teams, project workgroups, special projects, and leadership meetings. Develops and implements process improvement plans.Independently, or in collaboration with other leadership, develops and implements procedures to optimize HIM Operations. Documents new or revised procedures and ensures staff and other departments are aware of, and properly trained in, all procedures. May be asked to serve on local and/or system committees, councils, focus groups and work teams associated with advancing the HIM strategy. Performs routine and ad hoc analyses, audits, reporting, and workflow studies as required to ensure HIM Operations optimization. Analyzes findings and prepares reports related to clinical departments decentralized scanning results to present to clinical departments and management in appropriate forums.
3. Serve as the primary or secondary liaison between the Shared Services HIM department and the local entity. Develop and maintain strong working relationships with entity leadership in order to represent HIM in department and committee meetings as required.Ensures staff complies with relevant regulations, policies and procedures, and application of those policies and procedures. Motivates and implements personnel actions as necessary. Researches and resolves problems referred by staff. Monitors work schedules of staff and receive and approve requests for time off based on work volumes and staffing schedules. Manages and approves time and attendance for staff.
4. Serves as the on-site liaison to copy service to ensure release of information are processed timely and accurately.Provides back up for HIM staff as necessary for all the functions of HIM (scanning, indexing, analysis, chart correction, identity, quality audits, release of information, etc.).
● Associate's degree in a related field (or equivalent combination of education, training and experience).
● No licensure or certification required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● If an Associate's Degree: Two (2) years of relevant experience.
● If a High School Diploma or GED: Six (6) years of relevant experience.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: Shared Services
Organization Unit: HIM Operations
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.