Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 26591
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: Shared Services
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Communication Specialist: This job focuses on supporting external and some internal communications efforts of UNC Health and the UNC School of Medicine.
• Developing content (stories, articles, press releases, etc.) to promote biomedical research – especially clinical research across UNC Health – and medical education programs and projects to the general public and various media outlets
• Assisting Communication Managers and Directors in news distribution though UNC Health and the UNC School of Medicine newsletters, websites, and social media
• Supporting external and media communications, including researching, writing and pitching news stories, cultivating media contacts, and responding to requests from national, regional and local news media;
• Working independently to develop new ideas/methods for the team (including operational efficiency, outreach efforts, media relations, use of social media, web improvements, etc.);
• Working with reporters who ask to speak to UNC School of Medicine and UNC Medical Center faculty and leaders. This involves facilitating interviews on the phone, zoom, or in person.
The ideal candidate will:
• have outstanding writing, oral and interpersonal skills • have proven ability to develop media pitches, press releases, articles and more
• have a minimum 3 years of communications/writing experience
• have the ability to develop and maintain relationships with key stakeholders including those within the institution, such as clinicians, nurses, researchers, and media members
• be able to handle multiple projects and priorities simultaneously with keen eye for detail
• have the ability to continuously identify unique opportunities to promote the UNC medical community’s research and science news and stories
• have proven success as an all-around media savvy practitioner, experience with national media relations and a keen sense of what makes news
• have experience in photography and video development, including editing
• have shown an ability to work well in a team environment and independently, while being results driven
• have knowledge and understanding of medical and health care issues
● Bachelor's degree in Journalism, English, Public Relations, Marketing or related field.
● No licensure or certification required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Three (3) year of experience in communications, public relations, marketing or related field.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Strong verbal and written communication skills; strong customer service skills.
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: Shared Services
Organization Unit: Integrated Communications
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.