Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current employees, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For employee referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 27464
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC REX Healthcare
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The Prosthetic Orthotist is a health care professional who is specifically educated and trained to manage comprehensive orthotic and prosthetic patient
care. This includes patient assessment, formulation of a treatment plan, implementation of the treatment plan, follow-up, and practice management.
Documentation by the orthotist and/or prosthetist is part of the patient’s medical record and establishes medical necessity for orthotic and/or prosthetic
1. Clinical - Assessment of patients with impairment of human movement or musculoskeletal abnormalities
that would impede their ability to participate in their social/work environment or other activities to determine a functional intervention. Designs, writes specifications for, and fits artificial limbs, braces, and appliances for body
deformities and disorders following a physician's prescription. Examines affected area for factors affecting the fitting and placement of artificial limbs and orthopedic appliances. Plans appliance to give patient maximum
possible function. Determines materials from which appliance will be fabricated. Responsible for fitting all braces and/or devices as necessary to keep workflow and patient safety a priority. Responsible for troubleshooting
any problems that affect the patient's care as it pertains to devices supplied by the prosthetist / orthotist. Implements changes with DMEPOS standards and Medicare policies.
2. Inventory Management- Oversees inventory, including ordering new stock as warranted by
usage, reporting abnormalities in inventory levels to the Practice Manager, moves stock to and from various locations as necessary, and facilitates new products that physicians(s) would like to have added to the
service line. Responsible for all packing slips being sent to the Practice Manager so that the invoices can be paid promptly and correctly.
3. Leading People- Provides an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts. Encourages workforce engagement
by building a commitment to excellence and promoting its vision internally and externally. Delegates responsibility, clarifies expectations, and holds others accountable for achieving results related to their responsibility area. Leads in a deliberate and predictable way and operates with transparency. Treats
sensitive or confidential information appropriately. Develops the ability of others to perform and contribute to the organization by providing ongoing feedback and by providing opportunities to learn through formal and informal
methods. Manages and resolves conflicts and disagreements in a constructive manner.
4. Documentation- Maintains all documentation regarding the patient's visit and devices fit. Assists patients with direction to resolve billing problems. Acts as a liaison for the billing department to obtain the necessary information for claim payment. Compliance with practice management plans to develop and document policies and procedures to ensure patient protection.
5. Liaison- Acts as a liaison for the physicians, staff and vendors. Responsible for creating and
maintaining positive relationships with the physicians, staff, and other corporate staff. Responsible for communicating physician needs to the Practice Manager. Assists in maintaining communication with other services lines, including the Medical practice and the managers of those offices.
6. Education- Educates MAs, OTs, DME coordinators, residents, and physicians on appropriate policies and procedures to follow for DMEPOS visits. Assists staff and physicians in problem-solving regarding the type of brace and fitting that best address the patient and their situation. Acts as a mentor for prosthetist / orthotist students.
● A master's degree in orthotics and prosthetics from a Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) accredited program or A foreign degree equivalent to a master's degree in orthotics and prosthetics evaluated by the World Education Service (WES) Credential
● Completed NCOPE residency program and ABC or BOC certified (or certified with six months of hire) as Certified Prosthetist (CP), Certified Orthotist(CO), or Certified Prosthetist Orthotist (CPO)
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Two (2) years of relevant experience working in a clinical environment, including preceptorship in prosthetics/orthotics.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Knowledge and understanding of materials selection for orthotics and prosthetics.
● Technical skills required to measure, fit and customize orthotic and prosthetic devices.
● Good verbal and written communication skills
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: UNC REX Healthcare
Organization Unit: UNC Health Prosth&Orth @ ACC
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.