Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current employees, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For employee referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 26311
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Per Diem
Remote Observer (Per Diem) needed for Cardiac Surveillance. This department provides remote telemetry monitoring for patients across UNC Medical Center and UNC Hillsborough. Areas monitored include inpatient units and observation patients. The Remote Observer position is responsible for maintaining visual observation at all times, and verbally redirects patient over digital 2-way audio device that is in the patient's room. Strong communication skills are required to effectively communicate with patients using a microphone and headset, and to communicate with hospital staff and respond quickly to patient behavioral changes. Nursing Assistant I experience strongly preferred.
This is an ON-SITE position at the Chapel Hill main hospital; This is a Per Diem/ at-will position requiring the ability to work a minimum of 12 hours every 2 weeks; Shifts are for rotating day & night, 12 hours (7am-7:30pm & 7pm-7:30am), with weekend and holiday rotation. Self-scheduling is used to meet the needs of the unit and the staff. Must be able to complete required hospital orientation (Monday through Thursday, 7:30am-5:00pm)
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
This position is responsible for maintaining visual observation at all times. Verbally redirects patient over digital 2-way audio device that is in patient room.
1. Demonstrates understanding and proficiency of the use of the AvaSys Tele-Sitter Solution software.
2. Maintains visual observation at all times. Verbally redirects patient over digital 2-way audio device that is in patient room. Immediately summons the nursing staff if the patient requires assistance.
3. Demonstrates the knowledge and skill necessary to provide the appropriate care to this patient population based on the patients individualized treatment plan as delegated by the RN.
4. Participates in hand-off of pertinent information/behavior about assigned patients when arriving on unit and upon completion of shift assignment. Arranges meal break times with nurse and informs nurse prior to leaving monitoring station for any reason so that relief may be provided to ensure constant patient observation.
5. Seeks help or advice as soon as possible when patient appears to pose a threat to themselves or others. Participates in a collaborative identification and reporting of patient safety issues. Assures patient environment safety. Seeks assistance with removal of any potential safety hazard from room and reports findings to Charge Nurse.
6. Communicates pertinent patient information to appropriate person(s). Accurately relays information regarding patient needs to RN or US in a timely manner. Follows up with nurse throughout the shift regarding the status of all delegated tasks. Documents appropriately in RCare. All documentation is complete and accurate. Reports off to the RN and the oncoming NA prior to the end of shift.
7. Maintains an environment of safety for patients, self and others and supports patient safety initiatives as demonstrated by following positive patient identification procedures, performing hand hygiene per policy.
8. Provides patient with explanations as necessary, but does not counsel or provide opinions. Demonstrates behaviors in line with Service Excellence.
9. Demonstrates safe work practices and attitudes, follows safety rules, works to prevent unsafe conditions and behaviors, and participates in organizational and department safety programs.
● High School Diploma or GED required.
● Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers certification required.
● Certification as a Nursing Assistant preferred.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● One (1) year of experience as a nursing assistant is preferred.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Capable of continuous monitoring of up to 15 patients on one screen at one time and remaining alert at all times while on duty. Ability to communicate effectively with patients using a microphone and headset Ability to communicate with hospital staff and respond quickly to patient behavioral changes. Ability to use discretion and courtesy when working with patients, visitors, and staff. Basic computer operation skills. Basic Microsoft windows experience. Efficiency in multitasking. Ability to prioritize simultaneous situations.
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Cardiac Surveillance
Work Type: Per Diem
Standard Hours Per Week: 6.00
Work Schedule: Rotating
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.