Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC WakeBrook, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health teammates also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Job ID: 29831
Location: Durham, NC
Facility/Division: Shared Services
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Oversees the daily activities of the Accounts Payable staff and provides advanced Accounts Payable expertise and guidance to ensure the timely and accurate payment of invoices and check requests for the health system. Reconciles vendor statements and ensures that all open credits are validated and processed to the benefit of UNCHCS.
1. Accounts Payable - Works in conjunction with Corporate Accounting on annual 1099 preparations. Performs weekly check runs and necessary processes for check voids and lost check replacements. Process positive pay files after each check run. Advises management on issues of cash forecasting. Works with vendors for required W-9 and vendor registration information. Works with purchasing to identify and correct PO discrepancies. Reviews large vendor statements to address past dues and credit balances. Performs the work of Accounts Payable Technician to accommodate work load of the department when necessary.
2. Compliance - Reviews the output of the A/P unit to ensure compliance with policies and procedures and other regulatory requirements. Works with various auditors on research and/or responds to audit findings. Identifies and elevates potential compliance gaps. Randomly reviews check requests for approval compliance, reasonability and coding. Makes critical decisions based on information gathered from research and analysis to improve the performance of the A/P unit.
3. Manager Support - Provides general coverage of timecard approvals, PTO approval and check run coverage, as needed, in the absence of the department manager.
4. Reporting - Prepares reports at month end and year end to assure accrued receipts are reflected accurately for financials. Prepares some custom departmental reports using Lawson, PMM and Crystal.
5. System Interfaces - Processes system interfaces for patient refunds and A/P transactions. Resolves interface failures.
6. Team Lead - Serves as a resource to staff as to policies/procedures, rules/regulations and customer standards. Oversee the daily activities of Accounts Payable staff. Tracks workload leveling to assure equal distribution of work among A/P staff. Identifies and elevates potential disciplinary issues. Participates in team interviews to hire new staff.
7. Training - Provides training to A/P staff to ensure that the work can be completed accurately and timely.
● Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance or related field; or equivalent combination of education, training and experience
● No licensure or certification required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● If a Bachelor's degree: Five (5) years progressively responsible accounts payable experience.
● If an Associate's degree: Nine (9) years progressively responsible accounts payable experience.
● If a High School diploma or GED: Thirteen (13) years progressively responsible accounts payable experience.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Demonstrated analytical ability and comprehensive knowledge of basic data analysis and communications tools including Excel and Word.
● High level of interpersonal, written and oral communication skills to effectively interface with all levels of management and staff throughout the health system.
● Ability to 10-key by touch.
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: Shared Services
Organization Unit: Accounts Payable
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Durham
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.
Learn further E-Verify details in E-Verify (English) or E-Verify (Spanish).
UNC Health supports your right to work. View the Right of Work Statement (English) or Right of Work Statement (Spanish).
View the KNOW YOUR RIGHTS (English) or the KNOW YOUR RIGHTS (Spanish)posters.
View the PAY TRANSPARENCY (English) or the PAY TRANSPARENCY (Spanish)Nondiscrimination provision posters.
View the Federal Workplace poster. View our EEO/AA Policy Statement.