Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current employees, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For employee referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 29489
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The Manager of Financial Planning and Analysis is the lead manager and planner for financial analysts within the Operational Finance department. This position represents the department at key internal and external meetings and routinely interacts with all levels of senior management. The manager is responsible for direct supervision of finance analysts and facilitating departmental goals as directed by VP Finance Triangle West. This position oversees the annual operations and capital budget, service line reporting and analysis, monthly variance analysis in support of the month end close process, and creates and distributes high level financial analysis and financial models to assist senior management with operations and finance decisions. Work involves a high level of independent judgment, decision-making, accuracy, creativity and initiative.
1. Manages service line analytics across the Hospital and presents financial analysis to executive leadership. Identifies trends and opportunities for gaining competitive advantage in the marketplace. Supervises the service line and finance analysts and directs daily workflow. Completes the annual review process for supervised analysts.
2. Oversees the preparation of the annual operating and capital budget, in coordination with the VP Finance Triangle West. Specific area of focus will be forecasting revenues and expenses and facilitating the evaluation/inclusion of proposed business plans in the operating and capital budgets. Leads and manages the departmental budget trainings and serves as the point of contact to managers and directors during budget preparation.
3. Conducts complex analysis on large data sets and develops regular and ad-hoc reports and for hospital leadership to assist in the decision-making process; manages the design and creation of complex, dynamic financial models to facilitate decision-making by senior leadership; and researches, collects, manipulates and analyzes data; draws inferences, summarizes and presents key findings to VP Finance Triangle West and Senior Management for assigned topics.
4. Forecasts revenues and expenses and researches ways to enhance hospital revenues and control costs. Manages the implementation of financial improvements and tracks achievement of objectives. Creates and evaluates cash flow models using NPV analysis for business planning for potential new service lines and business units. Maintains the organizational financial forecast models and administers the financial reporting system.
5. Under the direction of the VP Finance Triangle West, serves as the primary financial planner and analyst for the President and Chief Executive Officer and Chief Financial Officer to ensure consistency and accuracy in financial reporting and presentations. Reviews organization’s financial reports, identifying trends and opportunities for performance improvement. Compares key financial indicators to those of competitors.
6. Manages cross-functional service line teams to produce business plans for new business initiatives and operational improvements for review by Management. Includes conducting financial feasibility studies, preparing project plans, analyzing potential operations, and identifying steps for implementation. Manages service line analysts and works This job profile is intended to provide a representation of responsibilities required. Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this profile. closely with department managers to generate ideas and prepare assessments of business opportunities for new services or technologies.
7. Manages the compilation of market and operational analyses in coordination with department Leadership, to support the budget and strategic planning process. Includes collecting, organizing, and interpreting large quantities of complex data. Serves as a liaison between the department and clinical service line teams, representing the resources of the Department and providing specialist knowledge in assigned area of expertise. Develops and maintains positive working relationships with internal and external clients.
8. Designs and creates analytical models to ensure achievement of objectives and exercises independent judgment in model design and development; Designs models to demonstrate impact of regulatory changes and proposes strategic alternatives to departmental leadership; Tracks and models population and volume growth trends and health care utilization. Projects demand for services using complex spreadsheet analysis and regression models. Incorporates data from online market information system, State hospital databases, and other sources as appropriate. Researches developments in health care technologies to determine impact on service utilization, future hospital volumes and profitability. Assesses competitor service development and performance. Identifies and directs the compilation of operating and financial data on key competitors and provides trend analyses and ad-hoc reports of statistics.
9. Monitors development of annual State Medical Facilities Plan, Licensure and Facilities rules and other regulations affecting health care planning. Drafts narrative and analytical arguments for certificate of need applications and other requests to regulatory agencies.
10. Evaluates internal and external data on physician activity, identifying trends and opportunities for improvements in volume and revenue. Creates and updates trend reports of physician practice for operational and physician relations staff. Develops, implements and reports on surveys of physician satisfaction, consumer trends, and internal surveys as necessary. Prepares evaluation of vendor proposals and makes recommendations to department Leadership.
11. Manages new business plan development to include assessment of new business plan development and performance. Compares operating and financial data on business plans in implementation and reports on their performance against projections.
● Bachelor's degree required. Master's degree or equivalent, MBA or MHA preferred.
● No licensure or certification required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Six to eight years of experience in a related healthcare role. Minimum of four years of direct financial analysis experience through a combination of education and professional experience.
● If an Associate's degree: 10 years of experience.
● If a High School diploma or GED: 14 years of experience.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret financial reports, medical device publications, and legal contracts. Ability to respond to inquiries or complaints from senior management, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write reports and executive summaries in a concise, professional manner. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors. Technical Skills: Advanced Excel, PowerPoint and Access skills required. Ability to create dynamic models and complex analysis on large data sets. Experience with reporting tools such as Business Objects and financial and operational reporting systems preferred. Mathematical Skills: Ability to apply mathematical concepts such as exponents, frequency distribution, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, and basic statistics. Finance Skills: Advanced understanding of cash flow modeling, NPV analysis, financial statement relationships, and capital planning and evaluation. Ability to forecast future operational volumes and revenues and expenses. Reasoning Ability: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw well thought out conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: UNCH Operational Finance Team
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.