Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current employees, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For employee referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 29020
Location: Hillsborough, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center Hillsborough
Status: Per Diem
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
UNC Health Care Hillsborough Campus is a community hospital which is an extension of UNC Medical Center focusing on many of our elective surgical programs. The 163-bed facility combines a community hospital culture with the innovative procedures and care for which the UNC Medical Center is known. The Hillsborough Hospital is located at 460 Waterstone Drive, Hillsborough, NC and offers free parking for employees.
The RN assigned to the 15-bed Emergency Department at the Hillsborough Campus delivers direct and indirect care for patients presenting with minor illnesses/ injuries to critical/ trauma injuries. Critical/traumatic injuries may require stabilization and potential transport to the Main ED / Trauma Level 1 Medical Center in Chapel Hill. This diverse environment in a community hospital setting contributes to a challenging and rewarding clinical environment for nurses and other members of the multi-disciplinary healthcare team.
This Emergency Department has been accredited by the American College of Emergency Medicine as a Level 2 Geriatric Emergency Department and is the first in North Carolina to receive this designation. Geriatric Emergency Departments embrace a variety of best practices that address common geriatric issues.
This position is a per diem/at will position which requires the ability to work at least one 12 hour/shift every two weeks and one summer and one winter holiday each year. There are no benefits associated with this position.
Provides competent clinical nursing care consistent with professional standards. Reporting and accountable to the Nurse Manager/Director, the Clinical Nurse is responsible for coordinating and delivering patient care utilizing the nursing process in a hospital setting.
1. Education - Participates in identifying and meeting learning needs of self. Attends education programs based on identified learning needs. With assistance, uses patient education materials relevant to patient population. Assesses readiness to learn of the patient/family/caregivers. Assesses developmental level of patient and factors affecting ability to learn.
2. Evaluation of Care - Identifies expected patient outcomes. Seeks guidance as needed in revision of plan of care. Participates in discussion with members of the interdisciplinary team in evaluation of patient care. Communicates relevant information to promote continuity of care.
3. Implementation - Demonstrates competence in care of patients with complex problems, including population-appropriate physical, psychosocial, educational and safety aspects of care. Performs bedside point of care testing as required for patient care plan. Utilizes healthcare organization and nursing standards, policies and procedures in delivery of care. Organizes and prioritizes care according to patient/family needs. Consults with appropriate resources in a timely fashion regarding patients with complex care issues, unusual teaching needs and/or those at high risk for discharge planning.
4. Leadership - With assistance, develops goals to promote professional growth or minimize limitations. Achieves goals and objectives within identified time frame or renegotiates with supervisor. Is knowledgeable about activities which facilitate intra/interdepartmental collaboration. Participates in development and achievement of unit goals and performance improvement activities. Effectively uses communication systems. Participates in promoting cost-effective care. Gives feedback to co-workers. Is aware of public policy and regulatory guidelines affecting the health care environment. Promotes a safe, clean and secure hospital environment for all.
5. Patient Assessment - Recognizes data from complex situations to determine priorities for care. Includes appropriate physical, psychosocial, education and safety needs. Synthesizes assessment data into meaningful whole prior to communication to others. Assesses and anticipates discharge needs of individual patients and families. Develops relationships with families that promote their ability to advocate for the patient and their own needs.
6. Planning - Collaborates with patient/family to prepare or update the plan of care. Makes use of available multidisciplinary resources in planning care. Begins to use full range of communication as a means to convey planning. Identifies and addresses cultural and ethnic issues in planning patient care. Demonstrates ability to prioritize tasks for patients with complex problems.
7. Research - Reads journals that contain studies or articles that may be applicable to practice. Brings ideas and questions to the staff at large for assessment of applicability.
● Graduation from a school of professional nursing.
● Licensed to practice as a Registered Nurse in the state of North Carolina.Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Provider certification
Professional Experience Requirements:
● One (1) year of relevant and current experience required
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center Hillsborough
Organization Unit: Emergency Dept HBO H
Work Type: Per Diem
Standard Hours Per Week: 6.00
Work Schedule: Rotating
Location of Job: US:NC:Hillsborough
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.