Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current employees, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For employee referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 30078
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Faculty Physicians
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Summary: The Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at UNC Chapel Hill is recruiting a communications specialist position to support the marketing and communications needs of the department. This position will oversee the department’s web presence (including social media); assist with writing annual publications and newsletters; and be responsible for the overall visibility for the department’s clinical and research activities. This is a remote position that may require periodic on-site work at the UNC Medical Center in Chapel Hill.
Carries out the plans made for special events such as community health fairs, screenings, etc.
Develops marketing communications including direct mail, direct to customer marketing, customer relationships and database marketing.
Writes and helps photographers, in the preparation of certain publications such as brochures, booklets, alumni materials and employee and special constituent newsletters.
Carries out community relations activities involving education programs, health classes, and business expos and is a liaison with groups such as chambers of commerce, businesses, school systems, etc.
Supports internal communications to staff and medical staff through newsletters, websites, meetings, posters, bulletins, etc.
Supports media relations, by helping with the creation of news releases, responding to media inquiries, assisting in the preparation for news conferences, and supporting web and database media relationships.
Supports public relations which involve aiding in the planning and execution of persuasive campaigns using paid and public media and other channels and assisting with communications during crisis management.
• Overseeing the ongoing maintenance and development of the OBGYN department website.
• Managing all departmental social media accounts (Facebook, twitter, etc.), including generating content, ensuring a consistent presence, etc.
• Developing content (stories, articles, press releases, etc.) to promote activities within the department (clinical, educational, and research) to the general public and various media outlets.
• Writing and editing content for departmental and divisional newsletters. Create an annual “year in review” publication for the department.
• Creating or coordinating the creation of multimedia projects to support educational requirement and enhance visibility for the department.
• Working independently to develop new ideas/methods for the team (including operational efficiency, outreach efforts, media relations, reputation management, use of social media, web improvements, etc.).
The ideal candidate will:
• have outstanding writing, oral and interpersonal skills
• have proven ability to develop articles and generate social media content
• have a minimum 3 years of communications/writing experience
• have the ability to develop and maintain relationships with key stakeholders including those within the institution, such as clinicians, nurses, researchers, and media members
• be able to handle multiple projects and priorities simultaneously with keen eye for detail
• have the ability to continuously identify unique opportunities to promote the UNC Department of ObGyn’s research and clinical activities
• have experience in photography and video development, including editing
• have shown an ability to work well in a team environment and independently, while being results driven
• have knowledge and be interested in medical and health care issues
● Bachelor's degree in Journalism, English, Public Relations, Marketing or related field.
● No licensure or certification required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Three (3) year of experience in communications, public relations, marketing or related field.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Strong verbal and written communication skills; strong customer service skills.
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: SOM Ob/Gyn
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.