Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current employees, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For employee referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 30582
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Assists dentists in all aspects of dental care delivery, including advanced or specialized dental assistant duties.
1. Take impressions for study models and opposing casts which will not be used for construction of dental appliances, but which may be used for the fabrication of adjustable orthodontic appliances.
2. Apply sealants to teeth that do not require mechanical alteration prior to the application of such sealants, provided a dentist has examined the patient and prescribed the procedure.
3. Insert matrix bands and wedges, Place cavity bases and liners, Place and/or remove rubber dams.
4. Cement temporary restorations using temporary cement; Apply acid etch materials/rinses; Apply bonding agents; Remove periodontal dressings; Remove sutures; Place gingival retraction cord; Remove excess cement; Flush, dry and temporarily close root canals; Place and remove temporary restorations.
5. Place and tie or untie and remove orthodontic arch wires; Insert interdental spacers; Fit (size) orthodontic bands or brackets.
6. Apply dentin desensitizing solutions; Perform extra-oral adjustments which affect function, fit or occlusion of any temporary restoration or appliance; Initially form and size orthodontic arch wires and place arch wires after final adjustment and approval by the dentist.
7. Polish the clinical crown using only: (A) a hand-held brush and appropriate polishing agents; or (B) a combination of a slow speed hand piece (not to exceed 10,000 rpm) with attached rubber cup or bristle brush, and appropriate polishing agents.
● Successful completion of a CODA-accredited dental assisting program
● OR meet the North Carolina State Board of Dental Examiners requirements for a Dental Assistant II (http://ncdentalboard.org/PDF/North%20Carolina%202015%20SFB%20Updated.pdf)
● OR Dental Assisting National Board (DANB) certification
● North Carolina Dental Assistance X-Ray certification
● Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Provider certification
● Meet the North Carolina State Board of Dental Examiners requirements for a Dental Assistant II (http://ncdentalboard.org/PDF/North%20Carolina%202015%20SFB%20Updated.pdf)
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Three (3) years of clinical experience as a dental assistant.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: UNCH-Oral Medicine
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Rotating
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.