Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current employees, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For employee referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 28997
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Per Diem
Nursing Assistant II (Per Diem) needed for the Orthopedic & Trauma Acute Care Unit - 5 Bedtower. We specialize in putting broken bodies back together and making them work like new. Our 28-bed orthopedic and trauma unit is an incredibly exciting place to work – chock full of challenge – and a unique opportunity to work with the best and an interdisciplinary team approach is used to provide the brightest. Our unit is an integral component of a leading trauma program, and our Chief of Orthopedics is nationally renowned for quality care for our patients. We provide an environment that supports personal and professional growth with opportunities to advance up the clinical ladder.
This unit has also received the Beacon Award for Excellence designated by the American Association of Critical Care Nurses (AACN). The AACN created the Beacon designation to recognize individual units that have set a path to excellence in an effort to highlight critical care units that distinguish themselves in every facet of patient care. Recipients of a Beacon designation demonstrate excellence in sustained unit performance and patient outcomes.
This is a Per Diem/ at-will position requiring the ability to work a minimum of 12 hours every 2 weeks; Shifts are for rotating day & night, 12 hours (7am-7:30pm & 7pm-7:30am) with weekend and holiday rotation. Self-scheduling is used to meet the needs of the unit and the staff. Must be able to complete required hospital orientation (Monday through Thursday, 7:30am-5:00pm)
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Provides routine direct and indirect patient care in a hospital, clinic or home health care setting. All work performed is under the direct supervision of a registered nurse or physician.
1. Provide direct personal care to patients as outlined in plan of care activities such as bathing, dressing, feeding, assisting with ambulation. Measure and record vital signs, and patient height and weight. May be responsible for specimen collection, skin preps/scrubs, catheter care, capillary blood glucose checks, simple wound care, range of motion exercises, and/or postural drainage. Performs Oxygen room set-up and monitors oxygen flow-rate, performs oropharyngeal and nasopharyngeal suctioning, tracheostomy care, fecal impaction removal, sterile dressing change wound irrigation for wounds that are 48 hours old, IV fluid assembly and monitoring, IV site care and discontinue peripheral IV, ostomy irrigation and care, urinary catheterization and irrigation, performs established oral, nasogastric, and gastrostomy tube feedings.
2. Provide clinical support assistance to include, but not limited to, cleaning the work area, maintaining office equipment, troubleshooting common software and hardware problems, changing linens, checking supply inventory, re-stocking supplies, transporting patients/ supplies/ specimens, and assisting in the orientation of new employees and students.
3. Assist physicians and other health care providers with routine examinations and procedures, as well as procurement of equipment and supplies.
4. Reinforce routine teaching given to patients by the registered nurse or physician and document patient understanding of instructions. Distributes patient education materials at the request of patients and/or health care providers.
5. Provide administrative and clerical support including PI audits and data entry.
● High School diploma or GED
● Listed as Nursing Assistant II with the North Carolina Board of Nursing.
● Listed as Nursing Assistant I with the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services.
● Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Provider certification
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Six (6) months related nursing assistant experience
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Fluent in verbal and written English language and able to develop basic computer skills.
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: 5 Bedtower
Work Type: Per Diem
Standard Hours Per Week: 6.00
Work Schedule: Rotating
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.