Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current employees, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For employee referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 28163
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The University of North Carolina Hospitals and Clinics Department of Pharmacy’s Acute Care Services Team has an immediate opening for a highly motivated individual interested in providing patient care as part of the organization’s antimicrobial stewardship program.
The Antimicrobial Stewardship (ASP) Clinical Pharmacist will work in a multidisciplinary environment supporting existing antimicrobial stewardship activities and growth to the ambulatory environment. The ASP Clinical Pharmacist will be involved in providing pharmacotherapy services to inpatient infectious disease consult services at UNC Hospitals, including immunocompromised host service and general consults. The pharmacist in this position will participate in prospective audits for patients receiving antimicrobial therapy as well as ongoing antimicrobial stewardship efforts within the inpatient environment. This individual will play an active role in the continued development of antimicrobial stewardship priorities and projects, including ambulatory practices. In addition, this person will work closely with other members of the Department of Pharmacy to address any needs that might arise and that require this person’s qualifications and/or expertise. The successful candidate will also have opportunities to precept residents, both PGY1 and PGY2 infectious diseases and other specialties, as well as pharmacy students as a part of the institution’s relationship with the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy. The hours of this position will be primarily Monday through Friday from 8:00am to 4:30pm with a weekend rotation. These hours may change if needed based on operational needs.
Qualified candidates will have earned a BS in Pharmacy or a Doctor of Pharmacy degree from an ACPE-accredited school/college of pharmacy and must be licensed or eligible for licensure to practice pharmacy in the State of North Carolina. The designation of Board Certified Pharmacotherapy Specialist (BCPS) and completion of a PGY2 infectious disease residency or an equivalent level of pharmacy experience is also preferred.
1. Receives prescriptions, interprets prescriptions, and reviews the patient's medication profile /history. Clarifies incomplete, inaccurate, or contraindicated prescriptions with the prescriber, nurse, or other health professional, as appropriate. Identifies and intervenes on problems related to the medication needs of the patient.
2. Utilizes and analyzes patient data to provide optimal drug therapy recommendations. Assesses the patient's medication therapy regimen and makes appropriate clinical interventions with the provider. Performs protocol-driven clinical services such as IV to oral dosing, stewardship activities, etc
3. Compounds and oversees the preparation and dispensing of medications including sterile products using standard formulas, processes and procedures as required.
4. Complies with the medication formulary, and therapeutic substitution and other programs designed to optimize drug therapy while minimizing cost as required.
5. Completes required documentation such as notations in the medical record, controlled substances documentation, cash register reconciliation, competency, etc. as required.
6. Counsels patients and appropriate family members regarding pharmaceutical care issues as requested or required.
7. Directs workflow of the shift and supervises pharmacy technicians, students, and/or volunteers present during that shift.
8. Adheres to federal, state, local and institutional policies, procedures, standards and regulations.
9. Identifies and participates in process improvement opportunities.
10. Precepts students, residents and participates in training new pharmacy staff as required.
● Bachelor's degree in Pharmacy.
● Eligible for licensure as a Registered Pharmacist in NC. Licensure from NC Board of Pharmacy required within 6 months of orientation date or sooner if required for operations.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● No prior experience required.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Pharmacy Decentral Services
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.